Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Called to Holy Orders - 1 October 2008

Today I have officially been notified by letter that the Bishop of Cleveland, the Most Reverend Richard Lennon, has called my classmates and I to Sacred Orders, to the Order of Deacon for service to the Diocese of Cleveland. This is the final step before being called to Priesthood and is often referred to as the "Transitional Deaconate" (as compared to "Permanent Deacons" who will be deacons for the rest of their lives) since we will be in transition to becoming priests, God willing, in May 2009. So, October 25, 2008 there will be five new deacons here in Cleveland. I thought it would be fun to share the contents of the letter:

1 October 2008

Mr. Christopher John Trenta
Saint Mary Seminary
28700 Euclid Ave
Wickliffe, OH 44092

Dear Christopher,

It gives me great happiness to acknowledge receipt of your petition regarding ordination to the Diaconate for the Diocese of Cleveland. With this letter, I hereby call you on 1 October 2008 to Sacred Orders, to the Order of Deacon for service to the Diocese of Cleveland.

In these past years I know that you have given yourself to discernment and formation. You have achieved this readiness for ordination by applying yourself in priestly formation at Saint Mary Seminary. I thank the Lord for the grace He has given you to discern in your own heart a readiness whereby you now ask for the sacred gift of ordination.

This time of sacred ordination marks a commitment on your part whereby you pledge yourself to be faithful to Christ as His minister of His Word and Sacrament. With great joy, I thank God for the gift of your vocation and I pledge to you my priestly support as you soon will assume your responsibilities as a Deacon for the Diocese of Cleveland.

With my prayerful best wishes, I am

Fraternally yours in Christ,

(signed) +Richard Lennon
Bishop of Cleveland

No comments: